The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Monday, January 16, 2012

January 16,2012

FOOD STAMPS
 They are not called "food stamps" any more in most states.  No more play money. What you get now is a SNAP  card (supplemental nutrition assistance program) that looks like a credit card.  This is to reduce the "shame" of using it-telling people that you are poor and do not have money for food. You should be able to apply on line and the income limits diff per state by as much as $400 (estimate).  However in my state I still have to go into the Social Services Office for an Interview.

Finally after assorted problems with my EBT card I was able to use it this past weekend now that I have three months of benefits for a total of $44 (all 3 months worth).  This is when I wonder was this really worth the six pages online application, the 4 pages of check of rights and responsibilities plus the 30 mile round trip to welfare office for an interview?

I had applied several times. The first time was last July on line. The directions said I would be notified for an interview.  I had to send in a signature page.  By painful experience I usually mail stuff that is IMPORTANT with a tracking number and sometimes requiring a signature.  So I didn't and the signature page got lost. And contrary to what was said in the directions they no longer set appointments for food stamps.

Then I started substitute teaching and figured I would be making too much money.  Well I didn't so I kept waiting until October. Even if you seem to be above the income limits, apply anyway if you are within $200-400 over.  They do deduct things like a standard deduction, medical expense deduction, support payments, shelter and utility deduction which is a joke. Mine was $297.  That does not even cover my mortgage.  There is also a limit on your assets.  Not the ones in the seat of your pants.   Assets that are counted are vehicle if you have more than one, liquid assets such as cash, savings and IRA, stocks & bonds etc.  Your liquor cabinet is safe. Again each state varies but $2,000 is average limit one person and if a senior or disabled $3,000. As you follow along on my journey and lessons learned you will see how our "welfare system" can keep you in poverty. Assets that count also include  burial plot if you have more than one, real property like a summer camp, things like boats, three wheelers - you get the picture.

AARP has a Benefits QuickLINK website (www.aarp.org/quicklink) to find out if you qualify for benefits for programs in your state.  Can print out applications








No comments:

Post a Comment