The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

POT- AS IN FLOWERS

May 10, 2013

Have been busy cleaning and bleaching my pots to use for flowers. I attended a "planting in pots" workshop given by the local extension office about a month ago. I have not emptied my flowerpots and scrub them in a long time. The pansies I planted in the window boxes (they droop a little on the old front porch) are large and their yellow and deep blue colors are real eye poppers. Since I don't have a lot of money to purchase flowers, I purchased geraniums. I put them in clay pots and put them around my small perennial garden. The key is a pop of color. I also keep my geraniums over the winter by pulling them up out of the pots. I trimmed them back and shake off the soil. Then they are placed in paper bags and put into the pantry where it is cool and dark. Depending on the weather, I will set them in their bags on the enclosed (but unheated) front porch. This is usually sometime in March. In a couple of weeks I get them potted and remove the dead stems as the weather warms up, they quickly produce leaves. Since I do not have a heated porch, I do have to wait a little longer for flowers. However, it cost a lot less.

If you wonder how a person with balance disorders can do gardening, it is due to the waxing and waning of my dizziness. I do have some days when I'm okay. My body lets me know when it is not a garden day.

No comments:

Post a Comment