The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

YOGA

January 19, 2012

I have started taking a YOGA class at a local Community College. This would not have been possible without the generosity of some family friends. I originally signed up for a "Stretching Class" which I had taken in the past. However the class got canceled. Hoping I was not too over the hill, YOGA was all I could get into. Then of course I was the oldest person in the class by 15 years or more.

Well I surprised myself. I could still do most of the positions. The class included a lot of breathing techniques. I am going to stay in the class because it has helped me to release a lot of stress even if for a day or two. Another surprise benefit was that YOGA appeared to tighten up my varicose veins. However, an even more important benefit is being able to get out of the house and being around people who enjoy some things you do (even if they are much younger).

Being chronically ill and /or disabled plus living alone can actually make you sicker and more depressed. If you have friends or family who live alone with a chronic illness or disability plus are out of the full time workforce, check on them. Better yet involve them in family activities or just invite them to join you for lunch or coffee or a movie etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment