The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Monday, March 26, 2012

SURVIVING POVERTY BY GETTING CREATIVE

MARCH, 21, 2012.

In the past I rented rooms to people. I found there was a tremendous need for housing for single men who were blue-collar workers and often had child-support obligations. I knew what their income was and their child support obligations. Even in our small town, apartments were becoming out of reach for these men.

At that time I thought of myself as living at a "low income level". However, the years of not working due to illness was taking its toll. In order to keep my house, I had to take in strangers to share my kitchen, my family room and living room, and even my bathroom. I knew it was not easy for the people I took in. Usually they were just grateful to have a place to live in their own private clean room. Later I will share the story of an old guitar playing hippie who was an alcoholic. He ended up giving me more than he received.

As for myself, I had lived most of my years as a single parent on the "low income level". We had a garden until I got too ill to keep it up by myself. It was my first border who suggested turning the room over my garage into a living area with a private entrance. This would give me more privacy and protection, while having some help paying with the utilities and insurance. Plus, I would get help with the yard work and some house maintenance.

This worked most of the time for while. Because my "income" was so variable and hobbled together to include a small disability check, part-time work, and help with house expenses from the housemate. The disability check was the only reliable resource that I received each month. Then there were too many months where the disability check was all I had. Yes, I received food stamps and sometimes, energy assistance, but the regulations are actually be a trap which can keep you in property.

No comments:

Post a Comment