The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

DIPPING BELOW THE POVERTY LINE

March 26, 2012

This past fall my long term house helper moved out of the garage studio. This was followed by over $1,000 worth of maintenance and unexpected repairs. Now instead of occasionally rolling over some end of the month bills into the first of the next month, I was doing it every month. Christmas came and went and still no one had moved into the studio. I was getting more mixed up trying to juggle my bills around so I couldn't remember what was due when.

The next sign I had that I was slipping below the "poverty line" was I didn't have enough money to buy food the last week of the month. Going to the market was making me sick to my stomach and I could no breathe. The third sign was the high cost of home heating oil. I have always been able to get my tank filled up in the fall. I used between 21/2 to 3 tanks of oil a year depending upon the weather. Most of the time, I had it paid off by the 1st of July.

In addition I use 2-3 cords of wood a winter for a wood stove. However, I have always considered my primary source of heat as oil.

I thought I would be cautious and order only a minimum delivery of oil because of the high cost of heating oil. That bill was almost $500. Now why my monthly payment plan was set at $70 per month is an unanswered question. By the end of January I had gotten two more minimum deliveries. This lead to my heating crisis in February. See my blog, "Disabled Senior Denied Heating Assistance"

Now I cannot order any oil until the bill is paid off. The warm winter and early spring has been an unexpected blessing. I had applied for energy assistance. But my working 3 ½ days in January made me over income by $160. The income guidelines for most of these benefits for poor people vary from state to state based on the poverty guidelines. I would have been eligible in a bordering state based on "Poverty Guidelines" for that state. The cost of oil does not change. These income guidelines are based on percentages of the poverty threshold from 125% to 200%. There is a $500 difference in the poverty guidelines between my state and the one six miles down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment