The Rainbow Bridge

The Rainbow Bridge
Flame Last Picture

Thursday, June 27, 2013

HOW DID IT ALL BEGIN: How Did My Life Take Such a Hit?

June 20, 2013

Since this blog is about how a person who is smart and well-educated became so bad off, both physically and financially, well, how did it all start? What was the big trigger event? Prior to the "big trigger event" I was on my way to work and just a half a block from my office when I was struck by someone who ran a red light and slammed into the driver's side of my car. It didn't hit the door, but spun me around. I was not really injured except for "whiplash" this was about 1993. The aches and pains never went away and I became more and more exhausted. I took a three-month disability leave and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but I got it under control and I went back to work.

Then in 1995, I had to resign from my job as a program manager in a nonprofit organization. Basically the job was making me sick, according to my doctor. I had loved my job even though I didn't make much money. I was able to bring the program through a fast-paced metamorphosis of technological change. It became one of the top 3 programs in the state. Most of the Funds for my Programs came from "Pass through Federal Funds".

There was a change in supervisors. I went from being that "Golden Girl" to being marked as expendable. It was a complex situation. I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder and was informally accommodated with two great secretaries. So there was no need to disclose. I tried to learn all I could about Attention Deficit Disorder. I recalled all those years in elementary school, daydreaming and spending more time looking out the window then at the blackboard. In addition, I have a son with ADD. Now at last, I began to understand why so many things were frustrating and why I would always get distracted. However, in 1995, the general public did not believe that adults had ADD. It became more and more of an issue on my job as I was constantly criticized for not dotting all my "I's", nor crossing all my "t's". My 1st supervisor gave me outstanding evaluations. My 2nd supervisor never gave me a evaluation. There were other factors too. My 2nd supervisor had no secretaries and I had two. I was also working on my MBA. The CEO of the organization never completed her MBA.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment